Sunday, January 23, 2011

Crazy for coconuts

Before the heart attack, I thought I was being healthy using coconut milk when cooking. For example, I saw an episode of No Reservations where Anthony Bourdain went to Indonesia. In the morning the 'pancake man' floated up to the guest huts and served up pancakes with a brown sugar/coconut milk syrup. I was so excited to try it. It was fantastic! I began eating it regularly. I thought it had to be better than the high fructose corn syrup, fake maple syrups. Indonesians are skinny...they look healthy. Now I know.

Jess and I found these one night at the Gateway in Salt Lake. They are flavored coconut water drinks. I was pleasantly surprised by the nutritional facts on the label. They have no fat! I was skeptical.

Vita Coco uses young, green coconuts from Brazil. The coconuts are around 7 months old. At this age, they're still fat free!!! Brilliant!

Anyway, I like the idea of drinking these guys instead of sugary sports drinks. Coconut water if great for hydrating, and the flavors are tastey! Amazon sells a pack of 12 for $14.34.

No comments:

Post a Comment